Friday, April 14, 2017

Process - Carving on a Bamboo Amplifier




So I was on a month-long hiatus. So to make up for it, I'm posting my process on this little piece I've been posting on Facebook:

This Okir-inspired bamboo amplifier.

Actually a test piece, this was my first time to ever carve bamboo. I usually sculpt things with modelling clay or terra cotta... I must say it's a little tough on the hands. I can feel my adductor policis muscle sore af.

I visited the Design Center of the Philippines back in February, I think. It was then that I acquired "Philippine Ethnic Patterns: A Design Source Book." I've been seeing some Philippine motifs, and have taken to pinning most ethnic stuff on Pinterest, but this book actually tells of how these patterns originate. After reading a good portion of this reference material I finally got the confidence to actually try my hand on doing motifs similar to those found in this little piece of treasure.

Without further ado, here's the process:

My temporary best friend.
The process is pretty simple. Draw patterns, trace on patterns with the Dremel 4000.

One little detail at a time.

Like how the Okir's largely inspired by plant life, the tendril-like features just crawl all over this little piece.

Patience is a virtue. Yas.

Details of the unpolished bamboo carvings.
After carving all that, I polished it all with some sandpaper. 

Here's how it looks from the top.

After carving comes staining. I used some chocolate brown stain available in the workshop.

Everything's applied by rag. What's nice is the deeper contours absorb more of the stain, creating a lovely contrast between positive and negative.

Coating this thing's fairly easy. Love how the gloss makes the shapes pop up further. First coated with sanding sealer and finished with polyurethane.

It's not really perfect up close, but the roughness of some parts actually brings out what's organic. It's hand carved after all,

This is by far one of the most intricate 3d pieces I've done.
Details from behind the piece.

Personally though, it looks lovelier from behind. Hahaha.

The Okir-inspired bamboo amplifier.
On to the info!
Material: Bamboo (Kawayang Tinik)
Dimensions: 30cm x 8 cm dia.
Color:  Chocolate Brown
Price: Php12,000.00 Inclusive of wooden case.

No comments:

Post a Comment