Sunday, April 16, 2017

Workshop: How to Make Bamboo Instruments by Titus Del Rosario, February 25 2017

Musical instruments have always been a wonderful thing. Making art, and sculptural pieces is one thing, but creating a tool which one can use to make more art I think is more magical.

It was early February when I was invited by my friend Roi Calilung to attend this workshop organized by the Angeles City Tourism Office.  It was all about making bamboo music instruments and as bamboo and music are two of my many interests, I was glad to participate.

The workshop was taught by Mr. Titus Del Rosario. My friend tells me he's a music enthusiast, but of course I'm pretty sure there's absolutely more than just that. I'd like to apologize firsthand, because when I walked in he was simply smiling at me and said "Are you here for the workshop? Okay, go get two bamboo poles here, a thin one and a thick one" and I did just that, no questions asked. Haha.

The two pieces were apparently for two different instruments.

The first one is for making a "bamboo buzzer." Locally known as a bungkaka.  It's a striking instrument that creates a sonorous sound when struck.  According to C. Dioquino in Philippine Bamboo Instruments, these were used by Cordillerans to drive away evil spirits when in forest trails.

Bungkaka, also known as balingbing are percussion instruments originating from the north men. Image not mine. Original image found here
The second instrument is a flute. According to Mr. Del Rosario, the flute he taught us was a combination of two styles.  He explained that flutes from up north were played with one's nose, and those coming from the islands down south are played with a mouthpiece. He combined these two styles to come up with this, still somewhat traditional Philippine flute.

A Cordillera warrior playing a nose flute. Image is not mine. Original image found here.

The bungkaka is fairly easy to make, however the slits made on the bamboo are very sharp and can easily slice one's finger. I cut mine and I could proudly say that my blood and sweat went into making this one.


The bungkaka I made. 

It takes a very short while to create these instruments as they required very little by-the-unit precision. Most measurements were done by, as we joked about it, tantsameter.  "We're Filipinos, not Germans." Mr. Del Rosario said, as we did measurements using only our digits.  This proves to be difficult though, as I have slender fingers, therefore instruments of my make can only be played by those with a similar build.  For an average human, I guess the holes on my flute were too close to each other and probably impossible for fatter fingers to play.

This longer flute I did first, but Mr. Del Rosario had trouble playing it as my fingers on the slim side. So I decided to make another flute...

... which happened to be a lot shorter.

I adjusted the holes so that they'd be more ergonomic, therefore easier to play.
It was a brief experience, but nonetheless very educational and entertaining too. Mr. Titus Del Rosario, and some of the other organizers were very supportive. They even performed with some bamboo instruments.  I'd be able to make more stuff with these now! 😁 Abangan!


Group photo with Mr. Mike Pangilinan, Mr. Edille Paras, some guy,  Mr. Titus del Rosario and Ms. Niña Dela Cruz.

No comments:

Post a Comment